Friday, October 10, 2014

So Sweet it Isn't: My Week Without Sugar

Usually, I have an ‘all things in moderation’ philosophy about food. This past week was different as I tried to survive a week without sugar as part of my ‘less is more’ challenge.

I love sweet things. I would grab a chocolate bar over a bag of chips any day. My hope was that by eliminating sugar for a week, I would become more mindful of my eating.

I followed three ground rules:
  1. No eating anything that listed sugar in the first two ingredients;
  2. No adding sugar to anything; and
  3. Natural sugar from fresh fruit was allowable.
It was a tough, but enlightening week. The first couple of days were the toughest as my sugar withdrawal set in, resulting in headaches and a general feeling of sluggishness. However, this challenge, like the others that preceded it, offered many interesting revelations.
  • Hidden sugar is my worst enemy: sugar truly is in everything, from plain pancakes to granola bars to even the most basic of cereals. The two teaspoons of sugar I put in my coffee every morning is inconsequential given the multiple teaspoons of sugar in my morning yogurt.
  • Mindless snacking is second worst enemy: with two children under the age of six, lots of food goes uneaten. I didn’t realize until this challenge how often I mindlessly picked from their unfinished plate. Half a muffin here and half cookie there add up to a whole lot of sugar.
  • Carbohydrates were swapped for sugar: with many of my favorite feel-good, sweet snacks off the table, I quickly turned to carbs to fill the gap. Having consumed two loaves of bread during the week, this challenge definitely did not result in any weight loss.
  • Sugar now tastes sweeter: the first sweetened drink I had after this challenge tasted so sugary that I couldn’t finish it. It appears that eliminating sugar has heightened my taste buds for anything sweet.
While I have no intention of continuing my sugar abstinence, I believe this challenge will help me make better nutritional choices.  And, when I do have a treat, I will make sure to savor each delightfully sweet bite.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, kudos to you for taking this challenge! I have a big sweet tooth so giving it up for a week would be tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Nice to know I can do it, even if only for a week. Thankfully, it wasn't carbs : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how much sugar is in all the food we eat. This is a good challenge for people to know about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to your observations about picking from your children's plates. My baby is just starting solids and, as you can imagine, a lot of food is left over. You've made me realize that it doesn't HAVE to be eaten.

    Your comment about not losing weight last week made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also guilty of eating off the kids' plates

    ReplyDelete